Wednesday, November 3, 2010

NaNoWriMo - Day Three update: Reality bites!

Soooo, I was about 400 words into my quota for today when my laptop overheated and abruptly shut down, corrupting the data files for my novel-writing software. Which would be no problem, except that the backups I'd been so conscientiously making turned out to be the less ideal kind of backup copies. Thankfully, I was able to manually get into my files to access the text I'd written out.

Unfortunately, it is all in plain text, and I have to go into my noveling software and start all over with creating new little files for each character, setting, etc., that I'd made notes on, and then copying and pasting the correct bits of text into each of them, then reformating. Which I really didn't have TIME for today.

By the way, this is not, repeat NOT the software's fault. I LOVE the software, which is a Beta version of a program that's only been available on Macs until about a week ago. (more about that on a day with less inherent drama.) Anyway, this is a classic case of POE - Pure Operator Error. But hey, now I know what kind of back ups I need to make going forward.

Today we had a full slate of doctor's checkups, babysitting and dance classes already on the schedule. Then the steak for my supper fajitas tasted a bit off. And when I switched to just chicken, the new fajita seasoning I used turned out to be lessssss than yummy, too. I get a touch grouchy when I have to throw out steak and wash my already cooked chicken. Oh, and stitch my soon-to-be-novel back together again! So with all this drama, I haven't gotten any further with my word count. The day stands at right around 400. I'm just taking deep breaths and reminding myself that there's plenty of time yet. In fact, someone on one of my Yahoo Groups just signed up for NaNo today. That takes real courage - starting out when you are already two days down! Very cool!

Stay tuned for better news tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment