Saturday, November 6, 2010

NaNoWriMo - Day Six: Friends and writing don't mix

I'm just kidding, of course. Friends are wonderful, and an unexpected evening with friends, eating good food, playing games, chatting and laughing - that's the best! Some people say not to socialize during NaNoWriMo, but I don't agree with that. I also don't agree with the "don't socialize until after your quota is met" approach. Which is just as well, because I think I'd have a full out mutiny on my hands if I tried to tell my 10 year old daughters that they needed to clear their social calendar for the month of November, just so I could rack up a few thousand poorly chosen words.

Which is why we all got to enjoy a nice evening out at Alicia's tonight, even though I'd forgotten about NaNo in the morning and had only 700 words knocked out. (Yes, I forget things like this often. It makes life interesting.) And I did get to finish up my writing quota anyway, even though it was 1:42 in the morning before I was done. It was great to feel like I pushed myself and stuck to my goal. It was even greater to be able to finally go to sleep! My writing was more questionable than ever today, but I haven't yet had to resort to any of the old NaNo fallbacks, like the shovel of death. (More about that later, maybe tomorrow, so stay tuned!)

My word count for today was a respectable 1790, my record thus far, in fact. My total word count is now 7429, 14% through the 50,000 word goal.

Thanks so much for the fun evening and good company, Alicia!

3 comments:

  1. Well, I'm very glad that my impromptu Scrabble party didn't completely derail your NaNoWriMo. And I'm sure you can use some of the conversation for creative inspiration, right? (Haha!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. April, of course our party helped you write! I am sure you wouldn't have been able to come up with sooooo many words without listening to our craziness first. In fact I officially demand 25% percent of royalties for inspiration...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uh-huh, sorry, no. It is just one of the (unpaid) perks of having me as a friend. You get to go to bed at night knowing you've been an inspiration to others, and isn't that payment enough? Yes, I'm pretty sure it is.

    ReplyDelete