Tuesday, November 16, 2010

NaNoWriMo - Days Fourteen and Fifteen

Just jumping over here to do a quick update.  Things are still progressing!  But I've been spending time writing and sleeping instead of blogging.

The distractions are getting pretty intense right now!  Yesterday I was all set to make tons of progress, and I did.  But it was painful progress, the kind you have to fight through, because a) I found out there were like 30 new Kindle and Nook books for free on Amazon, and I downloaded a bunch of them and b) I found a new app that allows me to check out ebooks from my library and read them on Paddy (the iPad).  Argh.  All that free reading just had to come right in the middle of WriMo, didn't it?  But still, how cool?!

Despite the lure of free reading, I was able to get in 1,938 words yesterday.  And on Sunday, despite having way too much fun with friends, I did get in 685.  Plus I have a few more already logged for today, bringing my total up to 21,311.  Sooooo close to that halfway point.  I need a big week this week, since we have Thanksgiving coming up.  If anybody makes plans during the week, don't tell me about them!

P.S. - Even if you don't have an ebook reader, you can still read the Kindle books and library ebooks on your computer.  Not my favorite way to read a book, but hey, the price is right, and if the book is good then you'll forget where you're reading it!  (Been there, done that)  Here's a link to the Kindle Apps for PC, Mac, iPhone/iTouch, iPad, Android, Blackberry, and Windows Phone 7.  And here's the Barnes and Noble equivalent for their Nook Books.  You may as well start collecting some of the free ones now, for the inevitable day when you succumb to the lure of reading digital books!  Any books you collect from the Kindle store or the Barnes and Noble store (free or not) will stay in your account forever, and can be read on any or all of those devices, and they even remember where you were when you switch devices.  Check a library near you for their digital offerings.

2 comments:

  1. Okay, if libraries are offering those new-fangled books then I guess the future is here. One day I might have to give up and get me an e-reader. But I just hate giving up the well-worn spines and dog-eared pages of a much loved book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I still have a lot of those dead tree books too, especially for the girls. I'm right attached to some of them, and love to see them on the shelf. But it is kind of a trade off. You don't get the well-worn spines and dog ears, but you do get the have-whatever-you-want-wherever-you-are-whenever-you-want-it thing going on. I love them all!

    ReplyDelete