Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Picasso and the second mouse - "Quartz Quotes" of the week

One of my weird peculiarities is that I love to collect quotes and sayings. They can be fun and inspirational and sometimes just clever. This week, I have a couple of quotes for your consideration.

I love this first one.  When I read it, I realized that  it pretty much sums our entire homeschooling motto up in 17 words.
"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up."
~Pablo Picasso
Spanish Cubist painter (1881 - 1973)

Living life is an art form in itself, so I do agree it is a problem when grown-ups lose so much of that child-like creativity in their approach to daily existence. Drawing and painting are important and meaningful, but Art goes much further than that. I think any time we exercise our creative muscles is time well spent.

Certainly, it's a great reminder for us to give our kids lots of examples and opportunities to make and do beautiful and creative things.  And it reminds us to approach every undertaking with an eye to making that task a little work of art.

The second quote is an insightful little tweak on a completely unrelated common saying. A pretty valid point, if you think about it!
"The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."  ~Author Unknown

Just goes to show, some of these traditional words of wisdom are not as cut and dried as they seem!

Image: "Child with a Dove" by Pablo Picasso

2 comments:

  1. "Just goes to show, some of these traditional words of wisdom are not as cut and dried as they seem!"

    Awhile back I read an article that made the point that often one great truth was the opposite of another great truth.

    For example "He who hesitates is lost." is about being first and getting a move on. While "Look before you leap." reminds us that there is wisdom in thinking a bit before jumping in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry it took me a while to answer your comment! (Blogger wasn't sending me comment updates. Probably because I hadn't told it to, yet. We're getting the kinks worked out)

    I love the examples you referenced - they illustrate the point beautifully! Words of wisdom are so good at inspiring us, at cutting right through to a vital point. I think they can be quite valuable.

    Maybe we risk getting in trouble when we take one of these maxims to heart, disregarding the wisdom we could also gain by considering the opposite.

    At least, that seems to be what usually happens with me!

    ReplyDelete