Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Many Rooms

In all my years as a homeschooler, and as a homeschooling parent (heck, as a human being!) I've learned ... that I have a lot to learn.

It's not so much a matter of the more I learn the less I know, but rather the more I learn, the more I seem to recognize how much there is to know ... and how little of it I've mastered.

Does that sound discouraging? I guess I don't really think of it as a bad thing, though I do frequently wish for more hours in the day. I feel as if rather than living life stuck in a few small, familiar rooms, I've had chances to open up lots of doors, I've seen lots of rooms, (more than some, less than others) and I've even made inroads into learning quite a bit about some of them.

I could have lived my life in those first little rooms, happy, but ignorant of the whole rest of the blueprint, the rest of the story. Maybe not even knowing how small those first little rooms were. And maybe even missing a lot of what's really going on.

My point here, though, is not that I am particularly special. Of course, we'd all like to think we are especially refined, but don't you think the truth is that nobody actually stays in those first small rooms? Pretty much everybody opens doors and broadens horizons throughout their lives, one way or another.

No, to me, the interesting question is:

Which doors do you open, and why?

1 comment: